Sunday 22 June 2008

Johansson Fears Album Backlash From Waits

Actress Scarlett Johansson is desperate to launch her album of Tom Waits covers - because she's anxious for the singer/songwriter's approval. Johansson, 23, will make her album debut with a compilation of the singer's hits when her record Anywhere I Lay My Head is released in the U.S. next week. The album will feature vocals from David Bowie - who has praised her musical talents - but Johansson admits she has yet to receive approval from Waits himself. She tells the New York Post, "When I was presented with the idea, the ultimate goal was to not get chased down by Tom Waits and get my ass beat in a bar. I've heard from people who are friends with him that he's very pleased with it. He's been really supportive - not from the sidelines, but from a far, far distance. It was constantly in the back of my mind that if we did something Tom Waits hated, he'd come at me with a hammer." Waits, 58, announced his own U.S. tour in an online press conference earlier this month.


See Also